Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190

Know These 5 Simple Steps When Applying For Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190

If you are a skilled worker and sponsored by an Australian state, you can apply for the Skilled Nominated Visa Subclass 190. It will allow you and your family to live permanently in Australia. In contrast to the Visa Subclass 189, you have to submit an expression of interest for the 190 Visa, and choose a particular state. 

You will also need to satisfy all the requirements for the occupation and the state. The reason is that each state has its own nomination program, and there are minor differences in their implementation processes. This write-up will guide you through all the specifications of Visa Subclass 190.

The 5-step application procedure for the Visa 190

The 190 Visa application procedure can be completed in 5 steps, which we have discussed below.

1- Occupation Assessment

You will need an official assessment for your occupation by an authorised assessing body in Australia. This document will validate your occupation, and thus the assessment outcome should be positive. For every occupation, there is a different assessing authority. Some of the assessing authorities include:

    • Australian Association of Social Workers,

    • Australian Institute of Medical Scientists,

    • Australian Dental Council,

    • Australian Institute of Quantity Surveyors, etc.

Depending on the assessing authority you are applying for and the occupation, each authority can require other documents, too, for validating your occupation. These documents may include academic qualifications, English language test results, work experience evidence, invoices, tax statements, etc. 

For the assessment, you will be required to pay a fee, and you can know the decision after 3 months or more.

2- Submission of EOI (Expression of Interest)

Once you receive your positive skill assessment, you will have to submit an expression of interest to the DHA. The EOI submission will need you to have the following evidence.

    • You must have a positive skill assessment outcome.

    • You must show that you have achieved the 65-point mark. That is why all the documents should be prepared beforehand.

    • At this stage, you will also have to select the state.

3- State Application

After submitting the EOI, you will have to wait for the selection by the state government. For different states, requirements can be different, including a specific English test score, physical presence in the state, etc. Selection is made depending on the separated preferences of the state.

The state selection process can take about 1 month to 1 year, or even 2 years. It also depends on several factors like demand for the occupation in the state, whether you have satisfied all the specific state requirements, etc.

4- Receiving the ITA (Invitation to Apply)

If your application documents are satisfactory, you can receive the invitation to apply for the Visa 190. 

You have to submit several other documents, including police clearance certificates from every country where you had lived for at least 1 year over the last 10 years, medical clearances, or any other additional documents. You should also pay the visa application fees at this stage.

5- Visa Grant

The state government will inform you about your visa approval through email. They will clarify the reasons if the application is rejected.

For a smooth application procedure, you can consider taking help from a migration agent in Perth.

What Are The Primary Requirements For Subclass 190?

The primary legal requirements of the Visa Subclass 190 are as follows.

    1. Understanding the occupation list

For this visa, you must have skills in an occupation listed on either the STSOL or the MLTSSL. Remember that the two lists have different occupations. For example, if you are a civil engineer, you will find your occupation on the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List. 

Suppose you are confused about how to search for your occupation on the specific list. In that case, you can search for particular Australia and New Zealand Standard Classifications of Occupations codes for that occupation. The code for a civil engineer is 233211.

    2. English language requirement

If you take the IELTS test, you will need to score at least 6 band scores in every four components. For OET, the minimum requirement will be at least B in every four components. Other test results like that of TOEFL and PTE are also accepted. Check the minimum requirements before you apply. 

However, suppose you are from any English-speaking country like the United States, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, or Canada. In that case, you will be exempt from this criterion.

    3. Nomination for a territory or state government

In Australia, there are 8 state and territory governments, of which there are 6 state and 2 territorial governments. 189 Visa allows direct entry. But for this visa, your chosen state should nominate your application before you can ask the federal government to send you the invitation. 

One point to note here is that all states do not accept applications for every occupation throughout the year.

    4. The 65 points requirement

From July 2018, the minimum number of points that an applicant should score in the mandatory points test is 65. It was previously 60 points. 

These points are calculated from different factors like English language ability, age, academic qualifications, work experience, etc. A state nomination will also get you an additional 5 points.

    5. English language ability

Having a proficient level of English (overall IELTS band score 7) will help you acquire 10 points. Anyone with superior English (overall IELTS band score 8) will get the maximum points – 20.

    6. Age

The maximum points of 30 can be achieved if the main applicant’s age falls in the range of 25 to 32. For a candidate having an age between 40 and 44, 15 points will be given.

    7. Academic qualifications

    • If you have more than one academic qualification, you can get points against only one qualification. For example, if you hold both a Bachelor’s and a Diploma, you will earn points for only the Bachelor’s degree.

    • If you have any qualification earned abroad, the relevant skills assessment body will examine whether it can be compared to the equivalent Australian qualification.

    • You can also receive points for a qualification that has no relation to your nominated occupation.

    8. Work experience

    • You should have worked for a minimum of 20 hours a week.

    • The employment should have been in the nominated skilled occupation.

    • The work should have been paid and not for any voluntary position.

    9. Australian study requirements

Another important factor for which you can get points is the Australian study requirements. It means you should have received one or more degrees or diplomas from an Australian institute. The course must meet the following specifications.

    • The course should have been registered with the CRICOS (Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students).

    • You had been physically present in Australia while completing the course and, in the end, had received a degree or diploma.

    • The course was delivered over a minimum of 16 calendar months or 2 academic years.

    • The course was taught in English.


Hiring a professional Immigration Agent Perth can be beneficial for two reasons. Apart from helping you with the application, they can also contact Australian Immigration to know the progress. So whenever you look for a professional, try to hire the most reputed individual.