Most of us are familiar with the use of locks to keep our homes safe. Whether we have a key to our house or we just rely on a security system, most people know how to change or rekey their locks. But what about the small things? The things that we don’t even think about? Like changing the locks on our cars, apartments, and houses? Here are some quick and easy tips for changing or rekeying your locks at home.
What to do before you start
It’s important to have a plan before you start. You don’t want to go into the lock Changing or Rekeying Your Locks at Home – The Easiest Way and Fastest Way! with a feeling of “what am I going to do?”. So, here are some things that you should do in advance:
- Make a list of all of your locks
- Check whether your locks are working properly
- Remove any old locks and replace them with new ones
- Have a safe key made for your home
- Get a digital keyer for your home
How to change or rekey your locks
The Easiest Way and Fastest Way!
1. Open the front door of your home.
2. Look for a key ring or key fob that has your current lock number on it.
3. Place the new lock onto the old key ring or fob.
4. Turn on the power to your lock system and wait until it starts working properly.
5. Replace the old lock with the new one if needed.
How to know if your locks are working properly
One of the first things you need to do is check to see if your locks are working properly. Simply open the door and try to press one of the locks. If it doesn’t work, then you may need to change your locks. However, if you find that the lock has been broken or does not work at all, you should reach out to a locksmith for help.
Safety tips when changing or rekeying your locks.
1. Make sure you are completely familiar with the process of locksmithing and lock changes. This will help ensure that you know exactly what to do when the time comes to change or rekey your locks.
2. Make sure you have all of the supplies you need to complete the job. Locksmiths use different tools and materials, so you must have everything you need when they come to change or rekey your locks.
3. Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you’re struggling with the process. A locksmith can help make the process much easier for you and can also provide helpful tips during the process.
4. Be sure to take pictures of the locks before they are changed or rekeyed so that you can remember the process later on. This will help ensure that you don’t miss any steps and that the job is completed correctly.